TwinTurbo.NET: Nissan 300ZX forum - Answers
People Seeking Info

Subject Answers

Posted by LitlElvis on July 13, 2012 at 4:51 PM
  This message has been viewed 992 times.

In Reply To Comments/ Questions posted by ZXoltan on July 13, 2012 at 04:30 PM

Message 1. Thanks for clarifying the differences between the new style and older tranny parts

2. I cant believe you destroyed... I mean...modified a brand new $1800 tranny! You have to break a few eggs to make an omlet :) Really, I got the new trans so I would have all new bearings and no surprises when it came to putting it back together. All of the removed 98+ gears will be going into the "old" transmission.

3. Are the gears themselves the same in the 98+ and older tranny's? I assume you mean the gear ratios? If so, yes, 98+ has the same ratios as the original transmissions.

4. Do the new style synchros offer any benefit? 4th gear is what seems to go out most commonly, so does a modified 3rd synchro really have any benefit? I can only speculate that these mods were done to improve the shifting.

5. Are the synchros interchangeable from newer to older (and in conclusion would this indeed be desirable)? The gear lugs are an integral part to the gears themselves, in order to switch to the new style synchro, you would need to change the gears, brass rings and sliders.

Follow Ups  

Post a
Followup

You cannot reply to this message because you are not logged in.